List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Next generation of KOrganizer / Call for help: (fwd)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-05-05 7:29:36

Bavo De Ridder wrote:
> >> Regular ODBC is not flexible enough. It is very difficult to write a small
> >> minimal driver since ODBC implementations have to implement all the
> >> functionality the spec requires.

And then:

> Well, I am not an ODBC expert... you're probably right. I was just pointing at
> the modular approach of OLE DB.

And:

> Indeed. ODBC is here, works, and has been used, tested and accepted by the
> majority in the industry. So whatever happens, unless something new and working
> appears (implemented off course) I think ODBC is the way to go. At least you
> can't go really wrong when using ODBC.

Please don't make bold statements like "ODBC is not flexible enough" if
you
don't have any experience with it.

> I myself am a computer science student (last weeks :-) ) and mostly work in
> theoretical computer science (subtyping, F-bounded subtyping, higher order
> subtyping) this makes me very vulnerable to good theories, I am not always
> interested in implementations. If it looks good on paper it is good for me.

KDE does not run on vaporware. Something is useless until is
implemented. So
having nice theories is fine, but it doesn't bring us anywhere if you
don't
implement it.

I really hope that Peter et.al. get some ODBC stuff going, if it turns
out that
it is not flexible enough it is early enough to change to something
else. You
are of course free to come up with alternative solutions. I love to test
out
new code :-)

Cheers,
Waldo Bastian