List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multiple KDE setups
From:       Navindra Umanee <navindra () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       1999-05-05 5:07:29

Montreal Wed May  5 01:01:12 1999

Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih@cetus.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 07:45:55PM -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > What if this was user settable?  If this was the case, then I could set the
> > local kde dir just before starting up KDE on each workstation and I would be
> > ensured that my special settings would hold only for that workstation.
> >
> > Something like so could work:
> >
> >    QString localdir(getenv("KDELOCALDIR"));
> >    if (localdir.isEmpty())
> >       return ( QDir::homeDirPath() + "/.kde" );
> >    else
> >       return ( localdir );
> >
> > So I could have $HOME/.kde-hi and $HOME/.kde-lo and two setup scripts
> >
> >    #!/bin/sh
> >    KDELOCALDIR=$HOME/.kde-hi startkde
>
> where is the problem of making .kde-hi and .kde-lo and create a symlink
> from .kde to the appropriate directory in a login script? Nothing would
> have to be changed.

IIRC, Irix uses a combination of symlinks and directories.

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root           12 Sep 27  1998 .desktop-barbie -> .desktop-ken
drwx------  5 navindra      512 May 23  1996 .desktop-ken
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root           12 Sep 27  1998 .desktop-skipper -> .desktop-ken
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root           12 Sep 27  1998 .desktop-tiffany -> .desktop-ken

The first time you would ever log on to an Indy, it would ask you
whether you wanted to use completely independent settings for that
machine or if you simply wanted to use any previous settings you had
created on another Indy machine.  If you answered the first, it would
create a new directory .desktop-<hostname> and if you answered by the
second, it would simply make .desktop-<hostname> a symlink to the
previous settings.

Disclaimer: All this information is from memory, years ago.

-N.
--
"These download files are in Microsoft Word 6.0 format.  After unzipping,
these files can be viewed in any text editor, including all versions of