List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Desktop Entry design standard
From:       David Faure <faure () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-04 18:42:25

On Tue, May 04, 1999 at 02:20:14PM -0400, Cristian Tibirna wrote:

> On Tue, 4 May 1999 pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
>

> > Seems valid to have a NoDisplay=(boolean) key.  I'm sure that the GNOME
> > guys will sign off on this.
>
> As I said, the names of the fields in .desktop files aren't so important,
> since nobody is supposed to mangle with them. But if you want suggestive
> names, use better NotShown= for this one. NoDisplay= makes me think at X
> or at the fact that the *application* is not displayed
>
> > > Oh, just noticed the TryExec field above... Do we support this already ?
> >
> > No, and I suggested that we do so, so we don't need kappfinder.  We can
> > just include a bunch of default ones that may or may not show up.
>
> And have them evaluated each and everyone separately at
> kdestop/kpanel/konqueror/kservice startup.
Why ?
> And if you want to be general
> enough you'll end up with *a lot* of them in your share/applnk/ filesystem
> structure.
I don't understand this.
Moreover, you have to know that applnks will get parsed by the kded daemon
so it will reduce apps startup time, but it won't allow for
application-specific stuff.
Well, kpanel is a special case, because it doesn't want services bound to
mimetypes, but simply applications. It's the same applnk files, but not
exactly the same way to handle them. Still, kded will hopefully contain all
the information kpanel needs to know.

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org