On Tue, 04 May 1999, Peter Harvey wrote: >> I know what ODBC is, but could you please compile a small list of the >> differences between standard ODBC and unixODBC, or are they identical. If yes, >> I can think of several reasons why we should NOT use ODBC ! >> > >Yes. unixODBC is ODBC on UNIX/Linux. It even includes support for some MS extensions. > >> Regular ODBC is not flexible enough. It is very difficult to write a small >> minimal driver since ODBC implementations have to implement all the >> functionality the spec requires. >> > >Not true. One can write a driver which supports a subset of the functionality in the >ODBC spec (ie just a few funcs) and get by fine for the vast majority of uses. In >fact, I do not know of a driver which implements all of the 3.5.1 spec (if they are >out there then they are few and far between). > Well, I am not an ODBC expert... you're probably right. I was just pointing at the modular approach of OLE DB. > >> >> Today, with LDAP, mail-databases, .... the common functionality is much smaller >> and more abstract as in ODBC. >> > >Ok. But I can see an ODBC Driver being created for LDAP but I can not see LDAP being >used for all db type functions. > >> >> Mapping those non-SQL databases to ODBC is sometimes difficult or impossible. > >You bet. Doing the Text File Driver, even to its current/preliminary stage was a big >job. However, this is the first ODBC File Driver to be LGPL so the stage is almost >ready for quick development of future file drivers. The final phase of the >unixODBC Text File driver is to make it into an example of how to use the >unixODBC infrastructure to create more file drivers (and, of course, server base >drivers). > > Indeed. ODBC is here, works, and has been used, tested and accepted by the majority in the industry. So whatever happens, unless something new and working appears (implemented off course) I think ODBC is the way to go. At least you can't go really wrong when using ODBC. I myself am a computer science student (last weeks :-) ) and mostly work in theoretical computer science (subtyping, F-bounded subtyping, higher order subtyping) this makes me very vulnerable to good theories, I am not always interested in implementations. If it looks good on paper it is good for me. That's way I would propose for a database interface to be a more generalized object-oriented query service :-) Perhaps it is there when I wake op tomorrow morning :-) That is if nato doesn't mis-launches some of it's missiles :-) BDR >> > >Peter Harvey