List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Next generation of KOrganizer / Call for help: (fwd)
From:       Bavo De Ridder <bavo () ace ! ulyssis ! student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       1999-05-04 16:42:43

On Tue, 04 May 1999, Peter Harvey wrote:
>> Wait a few month and you will see Katabase. This will be a middleware to
>> several database systems. Each database system will have it's own plugin to the
>> general data access module. There will exist several modules for working:
>> Formeditor, Reporteditor, ...
>> We want to make it the KOffice-database system, because it should be very
>> flexible.
>>

>Why develop a new spec and a new code base to do the same thing as ODBC? Sure,
>create a form editor or whatever... but why not base it on ODBC?

I know what ODBC is, but could you please compile a small list of the
differences between standard ODBC and unixODBC, or are they identical. If yes,
I can think of several reasons why we should NOT use ODBC !

Regular ODBC is not flexible enough. It is very difficult to write a small
minimal driver since ODBC implementations have to implement all the
functionality the spec requires.

Today, with LDAP, mail-databases, .... the common functionality is much smaller
and more abstract as in ODBC.

Mapping those non-SQL databases to ODBC is sometimes difficult or impossible.

BDR