List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: request for discussion: KDE color schemes]
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () salzburg ! co ! at>
Date:       1999-05-04 14:08:57

On Tue, 04 May 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Stefan Taferner wrote:
> > From a themability's point of view it would be best to have these options
> > somewhere in one config file that contains not much more than this (e.g.
> > ~/.kderc)
>
> Erg.  From a themability's point of view, ~/.kderc is evil.  It should be
> taken behind the barn and shot.
>
> The ~/.kderc file enforces a One User = One Machine mentality.  Plus, it
> breaks the kde "namespace"... everything KDE related is in $HOME/.kde (another
> sore spot, BTW) EXCEPT .kderc

From a theme-manager's point of view I would like to have all themable
settings options (borders, pixmaps, backgrounds, etc.) in config files of
their own.

It is quite a mess now to setup a complete theme in various config files.
I am thinking of some place that contains the GUI related settings that
are themable, e.g. ~/.kde/share/config/current-theme
(this is no good suggestion; it is only for illustration)

But I am not sure how and if this is possible.

OTOH it does not matter that much, as kthememgr is very flexible
in installing themes.

--Stefan