List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Next generation of KOrganizer / Call for help: (fwd)
From:       Peter Harvey <pharvey () codebydesign ! com>
Date:       1999-05-04 13:14:55

> No way.
>
> 1. not able to use freely in commercial setting
> 2. heavy.
>
> I think using a small lightweight, open source as the reference database
> is a good thing, with support for better, more scalable databases/backends
> part of the design goal (pluggable LDAP would be a real coup de etat,
> because that is really where the world is moving.  Having LDAP support in
> KDE would be a great selling point.  Trust me).

I created an ODBC Text File Driver (to the level of `proof of concept') to
address the concern that many people would not want a real DBMS on their
system. Drivers for other DBMS systems are out there or can be created quite
easily. unixODBC ( http://www.genix.net/unixODBC ) is in Alpha but already
has a framework for developing drivers. In fact, I can see no reason why a
driver can not be developed for LDAP... but I am no LDAP expert.

I have yet to see a solid argument to avoid ODBC .... I can rhime off ten
good reasons to use it (I have done so, here, several times).... anyone?

Peter Harvey