List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Next generation of KOrganizer / Call for help: (fwd)
From:       <pbrown () redhat ! com>
Date:       1999-05-04 5:16:15

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Van wrote:

> MySQL seems to be the best choice at present.  Any old database is a
> decent offering, Peter, but, if anyone's been watching the MySQL effort
> (www.tcx.se); it's arguably as impressive as the kde effort on it's on
> merits.  Would welcome any rebuttals.

No way.

1. not able to use freely in commercial setting
2. heavy.

I think using a small lightweight, open source as the reference database
is a good thing, with support for better, more scalable databases/backends
part of the design goal (pluggable LDAP would be a real coup de etat,
because that is really where the world is moving.  Having LDAP support in
KDE would be a great selling point.  Trust me).

---
  Preston Brown                                    Systems Engineer
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat Software, Inc.