List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: MICO 2.2.6
From:       Leon Widdershoven <l.widdershoven () fz-juelich ! de>
Date:       1999-05-03 13:51:41

David Faure wrote:

> Hey, do you realise what you are saying ?
> mico-2.2.3 has been around for a long time, and switching to mico-2.2.6 is
> required now, or within a short time.
> But qt is evolving MUCH MUCH faster. One needs to update qt every two days
> these days. I have no problem with it, but if you want to complain about
> 'having to stay on the bleeding edge and to download newest libs very
> often', then complain about qt, not about mico !

In my first mail I explicitly separated development branches (pre-alpha,
alpha,
beta) from release versions. In my opinion, there are no rules for
non-release software. E.g. there are no rules for Qt2.0 CVS.
The only release Qt is Qt 1.4x and that's around for quite a while, I
think.

The point I wanted to make was this:
Think before you demand a certain version of a certain library. Every
demand
you make will decrease the number of people who will use it.
This does not mean that you cannot make requirements (using KDE requires
a computer,
for example), but think if it is really necessary to have a specific
version.

The reason I wanted to make this point is the following: My Linux
release came
with a different mico version, and at the time I wanted 2.2.3 it was
quite
difficult to find this version (2.2.5 was more easilly obtained, as I
remember
correctly). I can imagine for a "newbie" user it would be quite
difficult
to search for a certain release, try to compile it and install it, and
of course hoping it would not break anything (for example the
installation
as done by the distribution).
As I said, all this is not an issue for a development branch, like
koffice,
but it _is_ for a release version.

Leon