List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Next generation of KOrganizer / Call for help: (fwd)
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () salzburg ! co ! at>
Date:       1999-05-03 13:24:34

On Mon, 03 May 1999, Peter Harvey wrote:
> > >   1. better integration with KDE Address Book (kab) and/or PeopleSpace.
> > > Whoever is going to work on this is going to have to become familiar with
> > > these projects too.
> > Hello Preston,
> > while Mike and me are still thinking about integration of peoplespace
> > and kab, I will of course help to integrate this.
> > Currently I am rather busy doing my work, but hopefully this changes
> > soon, and programming will get more important again :-)
> > Greetings,
> > --Mirko.
> > --
>
> Mirko,
>
> I am suggesting that unixODBC be used for the back end access to a database (
> http://www.genix.net/unixODBC ). Any thoughts on this?

I would suggest to use some sort of abstraction layer in between for everything
that does not directly depend on having a database below.

For the addressbook interface for example, there are several approaches
possible (database, file, LDAP, ...) that should all be available without extra
effort for the application programmer.

If I understand current development paths right, we may now use loading
shared libs/objects on demand -- other Kde apps / components do it already.
This allows very flexible and elegant dynamic loading of drivers.

Ok, I stop now, as you all probably know what I mean :-)

Kind regards,
Stefan