pbrown@redhat.com wrote: > > A few weeks ago, we discussed the possibility of standardizing the desktop > entry files so that both KDE and GNOME can use the same file format > without any sort of conversion steps in between. > > Right now, the two formats are largely identical. There are a few minor > differences: > > 1. GNOME desktop entries have the extension .desktop, KDE ones .kdelnk. > GNOME also seems to be able to "do the right thing" when the extension is > missing based on magic mime stuff, and KDE largely does as well. At least > KFM does... the panel does not. This could easily change. I suppose we > would make it look for .desktop files first, followed by .kdelnk files for > backwards compatibility, finally use mime-magic to look for a desktop file > without an extension. > > 2. KDE entries contain the toplevel group [KDE Desktop Entry]. GNOME > entries simplified this to [Desktop Entry]. This seems reasonable and > generic. I would motion that we adopt Desktop Entry, and fall back to KDE > Desktop Entry if this group isn't present. This would be some work in > KConfig of course, but nothing difficult. > > 3. GNOME uses png files almost exclusively. KDE largely makes use of XPM > instead. However, they both have the ability to read the other file > format...I'm just not sure KPanel/KFM/Konquerer currently understand .png > format icons. I know that GNOME does (support XPM icons), because I > worked closely with the RHAD labs on integrating KDE menu support into > their panel for Red Hat Linux 6.0. > > There may be some other issues that I haven't addressed, but I can only > see this as a good thing. If people disagree, please make your concerns > known, and give specifics of the problems you are finding. Otherwise, > let's go forward with this. Looks good to me. Let's do it. Cheers, Waldo