List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde mp3 player
From:       <pbrown () redhat ! com>
Date:       1999-05-03 3:02:43

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Andrew Wansink wrote:

> Can somebody please tell me what mp3 player most KDE users
> are running.  There doesn't appear to be a default one which comes
> with kde-multimedia.

Here I'll take another opportunity to voice something about KDE 2.0.  If
you are going to be developing multimedia stuff for KDE 2.0 and beyond,
*please* work with C. Esken and any other who are working on the kmedia
project so that everything goes through a uniform API.  This was the
original intent, and other than .wav playing, it has failed miserably in
KDE 1.1.x.  C. Esken said that he has been working hard to rectify this
situation (and I believe him) for our next generation of KDE.  So please
PLEASE all you .mp3 / .au / .wav / .mid people, as well as .qt and .mov
and .avi people, TALK TO EACH OTHER.

---
  Preston Brown                                    Systems Engineer
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat Software, Inc.