List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: standardizing desktop entry files
From:       <pbrown () redhat ! com>
Date:       1999-05-02 23:30:55

On Mon, 3 May 1999, David Faure wrote:

> This would mean that existing KDE installations would be totally broken
> when upgrading to KDE 2...
> Because the personal apps and bindings in ~/.kde/share/applnk will still
> use the old format.

We will provide backwards compatibility code as well as conversion, either
explicitly or implicitly.  This isn't going to be rocket science, I have a
large chunk done already.

It seems to me that aside from a few fears which really aren't justified,
the only reason to keep the old format is for sentimental reasons.

---
  Preston Brown                                    Systems Engineer
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat Software, Inc.