List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: accessing .desktop (.kdelnk) files
From:       David Faure <faure () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-02 22:01:34

On Sun, May 02, 1999 at 11:45:11PM +0200, Martin Konold wrote:
> On Sun, 2 May 1999 pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
>
> > Alright, I haven't received any complaints on switching over to using
> > .desktop file entries in favor of .kdelnk file entries, and using [Desktop
> > Entry] as the group vs. [KDE Desktop Entry], so I have begun the work.
>
> Maybe you should at least wait until the weekend is over. A lot of people
> had no chance to check their mailboxes at all.

Does this mean you hope that people will complain about this ?

Why would KDE users & developers have a problem with it ?
"desktop" is far more readable than "kdelnk", by the way.
And compatibility is always a good thing. GNOME chose the same file format
as we did, but couldn't put kde in it, which we can understand !!
So let's do our part of the compatilibity move : adopting the right group
name and the right file extension.
Do you realise what it means ? That any attempt to create a Unix desktop in
the future will _have_ to comply with our .desktop file format, since it's
the one used by the two major Unix desktops.
This is what is called a de-facto standard and such a thing is always a
good thing. Why do you expect people to have anything against it ?

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org