List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: "Good" Docs [was: Re: accessing .desktop (.kdelnk) files]
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-02 21:25:00

On 02-May-99 Kurt Granroth wrote:
[...]
> I think this lack of docs is mostly hurting us in the ultra-complex areas
> such as KOffice and the "low-level" libs.  In both cases, the *only* people
> that really know how they work is the people that develop on them on a day
> to day basis (i.e., Reggie) OR developed them in the first place (i.e.,
> Torben).  Because the amount of work necessary just to learn the system
> (much less *extend* the system) is so huge, most people won't even touch it.

Hear, hear !

I must admit I find it hard to write docs when I'm coding, but then my app is a
fast moving target, as I tend to design as I code ;)

However, I am desperate to get started with CORBA, and I can't until I can
learn how to. It will take me a very long time to work it all out from the
KOffice code, particularly as much of it isn't even similar to what I'll be
doing.

Yes, I should get a book, but I can't afford it. Help ! :)

Any documentation is good documentation, but docs that do a bit of
hand-holding, providing some of the 'why' and the 'how', not just the 'what',
would help enormously.

Cheers,
Rik

--