List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Memory consumption in KDE 2.0
From:       <pbrown () redhat ! com>
Date:       1999-05-02 18:17:31

On Sun, 2 May 1999, Dirk A. Mueller wrote:

> David Faure <faure@alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>
> > I agree about eventually looking around for a better ORB, but when
> > evaluating this, we have to take into account the features we already
> > need, and also the ease of migration. Any clue how hard it will be to
> > switch to another orb ? I'm not saying we should or should not switch,
> > but I'm afraid about the grunt work it would involve.
>
> Better now than later. It'll be nearly impossible to switch to a
> "better" (smaller, faster) ORB when the applications have been
> stabilized and enhanced.

We might (shudder) be able to talk to the GNOME guys about this.  In fact,
I think it is the right thing to do.  They switched from MICO to Orbit in
a few months time.

However, we do have to write C++ wrappers for it, but that isn't too
difficult.  AFAIK, no one is currently working on this.

---
  Preston Brown                                    Systems Engineer
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat Software, Inc.