List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE1.1.1 installation advisory
From:       <pbrown () redhat ! com>
Date:       1999-05-01 20:08:10

On Sat, 1 May 1999, Duncan Haldane wrote:

> Re Shadow Passwords.
> On RedHat, its easy to switch between shadow and non-shadow.
> Its not possible to decide in advance whether shadow passwords
> are being used, and this may change after installation.
>
> PAM  handles  authentication.
> i guess kcheckpass doesnt need suid for PAM systems
> (I if remember the checkpass-pam modeule which I
> worked on a bit!)

This is correct.  Shadow passwords on Red Hat are handled via PAM, which
doesn't need anything to be SUID to work.  So please don't set things SUID
root for Red Hat Linux or any other distribution using PAM, even if you
want shadow password support.  It will all "just work." :)

---
  Preston Brown                                    Systems Engineer
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat Software, Inc.