On Pi, 30 apr 1999, pbrown@redhat.com wrote: >I sent this message to the internal korganizer list, but I thought others >might be interested. If they are, please > >1. get in touch with me personally >2. subscribe to the korganizer list. Instructions are on the korganizer >home page (www.redhat.com/~pbrown/korganizer). >3. do we have the kde-pim list set up yet? > >--- > Preston Brown Systems Engineer > pbrown@redhat.com Red Hat Software, Inc. > >---------- Forwarded message ---------- >Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 00:18:21 -0400 (EDT) >From: pbrown@redhat.com >Reply-To: korganizer-list@yertle.cdarchive.com >To: korganizer-list@yertle.cdarchive.com >Subject: Next generation of KOrganizer / Call for help: > >* List: korganizer-list@yertle.cdarchive.com > >Hello fellow users: > >The time has come to start the next generation of KOrganizer. KDE 1.1.1 >will be out next week, and while I intend to continue to make crucial >bugfix additions and other "no brainers" to the KDE 1.1.1 tree (which will >likely be released as KDE 1.1.2 or KDE 1.2 in the summer time), we are >done with this source tree. That tree is dead. It is time to begin major >work on KOrganizer, driving it into the next millenium, no joke. :) Major >surgery lies ahead. I was told that there will be no 1.1.2 or 1.2 version, Stephen ? Ciao Matt > >I see a number of areas that need to be attacked first. I'll list what I >see in no particular order of preference: > >1. the various views pretty much all need rewriting, and we need the >addition of a datebook-style weekly view. All the views should enherit >from a common subclass, so that interfaces to them from the outside can be >clean and make use of nice virtual functions instead of ugly case >statements and the like that are currently used. This is largely a >self-contained project, but it will take some time. It could be worked on >by one or two people. > >2. the messaging subsystem needs to actually be written. I know we have >some hacks in place right now, but this needs to happen if we are to drive >korganizer into the future. There are two components to this: > > 1. better integration with KDE Address Book (kab) and/or PeopleSpace. >Whoever is going to work on this is going to have to become familiar with >these projects too. > > 2. some sort of framework independent of the transport method (email, >network connection to some server) which lets us do group scheduling. >Behind this multiple interfaces will exist to do the actual communication. >This will include iMIP and iTIP I hope. > >This second project will need several people to get off the ground. > >3. We need to update/rewrite the vCalendar parser to be iCalendar >compatible. This is an incremental project that one can work on slowly >and see results. It could be a one or two man project. > >There are lots of other smaller hacks and projects. The event editor >should be re-written to be geometry-managed instead of fixed in size, as >it is now. This is an arduous and potentially boring project, but it is >highly important. We need to improve the alarm support so that snoozes >and other such things are possible. We need to improve printing support. >And more of course. > >Basically, at this point, I have received lots of mail from people saying, >"I'd love to help, but I don't know where to start." Well I think I can >tell you where to start if you are interested. This weekend, I am going >to work hard on setting up the web site to better describe the current >KOrganizer internals, so that people will understand what is going on. A >sort of map for the code, so to speak. Because I understand how hard it >is to come into a project and be completely clueless. Still you have to >remember that this project has no financial backing, so there will be some >wading into the source code to read comments no matter what. I pride >myself on being a rather prolific commenter in the code, at least more >than most people. I hope. > >As some of you know, I have become much more intimately involved in other >areas of KDE over the last year or so. As a KDE core team member, I have >my hands into a lot of other areas of the code. Therefore, I don't have >time to do this all on my own anymore. I'm definitely not stepping down >as head of the project, but what I am saying is that I would like to work >on *one* of the aformentioned project areas, and have other people help me >with the rest. I can't do it all. > >So what I want from people now is the following: > >1. if you are willing to make at least a reasonable commitment to working >on this project over the next several months, or longer >2. what you are interested in working on >3. anything that you need to know about the code that I might miss >4. any additional projects you want to see I didn't mention (corba? I >would like this too but don't know where to start) > >So let's get the show on the road! No dragging your feet. As the mozilla >project said, work, and their will be flour. KOrganizer is already quite >usable, but with help, we can make it even better. > >--- > Preston Brown Systems Engineer > pbrown@redhat.com Red Hat Software, Inc. -- Matej Koss e-mail: koss@napri.sk Kosice ICQ# : 19344305 Slovakia