List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Fwd: Re: CJK support in KDE
From:       David Faure <faure () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-04-29 11:49:17

----- Forwarded message from Woohyun JANG <louis@mizi.co.kr> -----

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:29:52 +0900
From: Woohyun JANG <louis@mizi.co.kr>
To: david.faure@insa-lyon.fr
Subject: Re: CJK support in KDE

Please forward this mail to kde-devel@kde.org. I don't have write
privilege... :(

On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 12:10:31PM +0200, David Faure wrote:

: > For testing purpose, I modified the kdelibs/kdecore/kapp.cpp and
: > kdelibs/kdecore/klocale.cpp to use codec related functions. (I
: > inserted setDefaultCodec() in KApplication::init() and modified
: > KLocale::translate() to use codec->toUnicode().
:
: This sounds ok.

Really?

When I modified it, I can see Korean strings that is passed by i18n().
but I think, it isn't good idea that all of strings that is displayed
in screen need to be passed by i18n(). is it?

: Never send whole files (big and unreadable). Use diff or cvs diff to send diffs.

sorry! I'll send diff file in future.

: > and I used a kedit's translated message
: > file(kedit.mo). then I got a screen that Korean characters are appeared in
: > menu well.  but I can't see Korean characters in file selection dialog
: > because it doesn't use i18n().  If I change QString, It may work fine.
:
: ... or if you fix kfile to call codec->toUnicode(), right ?
: ok, the problem will remain for any app displaying a filename (kfm, for
: one).

Yeah, but the problem isn't only in filename. for example, I need to
fix kwm also to display CJK characters in title bar. :)

If QString were convert it well, I don't need to fix all of it.

: > and I wonder if there is a team for CJK support or i18n.
:
: No idea.
: But none of us, western countries developers, can fix things like this.
: We need a person (or a team) with CVS access, that would add support for it
: (for instance like you suggest in this mail), but also that would maintain
: it and test it as KDE evolves.
: Volunteers ?

If there isn't any team for CJK, I want to do it... In Korea, I used a
local patched version of qt-1.4x to display and to type Korean characters.
I think that it(local patching) isn't good idea. :)

Regards

            from Woohyun JANG
--
Woohyun JANG, louis@mizi.co.kr                           MIZI Research, Inc.