List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multiple KDE setups
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-04-29 11:36:46

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> So I could have $HOME/.kde-hi and $HOME/.kde-lo and two setup scripts
>
>    #!/bin/sh
>    KDELOCALDIR=$HOME/.kde-hi startkde
>
> Does this sound reasonable?

Yes and no.

I think a better way to solve this problem is by introducing "cascaded
configuration".
Basically we already have this, I just want to take it a step further.

What should happen is that we have an environment var like:

KDECONFIGDIRS=/opt/kde/:$HOME/.kde:$HOME/.kde-hi

What happens then is that if a configuration option needs to be looked
up, the
last directory is looked up first. When the item is not been defined
there, or
when it is defined as "DEFAULT", the directory preceding it should be
looked up.

Although this scheme will work quite good for looking things up, I
haven't figured
out an easy way to save changes. The problem here is "WHERE" do you save
changes
in a setting?

Discussion appreciated.

Cheers,