Kurt Granroth wrote: > > The Problem > ----------- > It occurs to me that there is no easy way, currently, to have more than one > distinct user-level setup for KDE for one account. > > My situation at work is that I tend to use up to 4 different computers -- all > with very different hardware requirements. On my "main" workstation, I have a > nice big monitor (21") with a decent (24-bit) graphics card. On most of the > other ones, the monitor is 19" with an 8-bit card. This means that my very > cool looking desktop with all of it's high-color graphics looks and acts > *terrible* on some of the machines. > > What would be *very* handy is a way to have multiple setups for my account. > That way, I could have my graphics intesive desktop for my main workstation > but still be able to use a more boring version for the other stations. > > A Possible Solution > -------------------- > Most, if not all, KDE apps use KApplication::localkdedir() as the base for > local configuration stuff. This static function looks like so: > > return ( QDir::homeDirPath() + "/.kde" ); > > In other words, $HOME/.kde. > > What if this was user settable? If this was the case, then I could set the > local kde dir just before starting up KDE on each workstation and I would be > ensured that my special settings would hold only for that workstation. > > Something like so could work: > > QString localdir(getenv("KDELOCALDIR")); > if (localdir.isEmpty()) > return ( QDir::homeDirPath() + "/.kde" ); > else > return ( localdir ); > > So I could have $HOME/.kde-hi and $HOME/.kde-lo and two setup scripts > > #!/bin/sh > KDELOCALDIR=$HOME/.kde-hi startkde > > Does this sound reasonable? Actually some user sent me a patch to change all $HOME/.kde to kdelocaldir() to make it customizable for him. But make sure that all applications are consistent here. Greetings, Stephan -- As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics, Microsoft have nothing to worry about. By Michael Surkan, PC Week Online