List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Not "konqy" (Re: The mascot!)
From:       David Faure <faure () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-04-26 15:36:23

On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 05:06:44PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> > FYI: Poldi is unaccaptable! Someone who wanted to be funny
> > suggested it because of the following reason:
> >
> > In German TV (NDR) there already exists a popular dragon that is
> > named Poldi and it looks (IMO) much more like our
> > dragon than 'Croc'.
> >
> > So this would be a very bad idea. I'm sure that this
> > character is already copyrighted.
> >
> > Torsten, still voting for konqy
> >
> As do I.

Well, even though I am a konqueror developer, I don't think that naming
the mascot with an application name is a good idea (someone objected
along that lines, and I sort of agree).

However, for the user, "konqy" is not really "konqueror".

(We -developers- use konqy as a pet name for konqueror, and I would like to
be able to go on doing it without confusion with the mascot.
But "konqi" is fine for me).

I'm really bad at finding names, but I'm sure we can find something better
anyway :)
Looks like we like the name "konqueror" (and derivatives) because it's the symbol
of new stuff in KDE. But we can find other new kool names (for other new
apps, and for the mascot too).

As for using the icon for konqueror, well, that was just the result of 0s thoughts.
It's true that it could be a bit confusing.
Anybody (in the icon team) wants to draw an icon for konqueror (better than
the old kfm icon) ?

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org