List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Animated menus / 2
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-04-23 17:01:50

On 23-Apr-99 Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
>
>> WOW, I'm impressed, this is pretty smooth! I don't know how well it works
>> with different X-Servers, but the one for my old cheapo S3 Trio64 card
>> works quite cool, no flickering at all.
>
> My MetroX gives good results also. (A llllittle flickering, but this
> should have to do with the low frequency I have to use on this shitty
> monitor).

Have you tried my little utility KVideoGen ? I'm afraid it doesn't produce
modelines for MetroX, perhaps you'd add the option or just tell me how to make
them ? I would like to make it produce fb modes too at some point, and convert
it to a python script...

If you haven't seen it, it is designed to give you the best refresh/resolution
combination. I'm running my monitor at 1536x1097 at 80Hz, which is better than
a much lower refresh at the 'standard' of 1600x1200.

It's at http://without.netpedia.net

> So, I strongly vote for including this kind of effects *on everything* for
> KDE-2.0 . A general anim lib for KDE widget objects would be very nice.

I vote for it too.

I had a go at optimising it, and got some progress, but then realised that
the flicker is not due to the coding; it appears when QPopupMenu::exec() is
called.

If you stick a delay inbetween draws, you'll notice that the widget isn't quite
drawn correctly. It's slightly too small. I haven't managed to fix this, but
perhaps if it ends up at the correct size before QPopupMenu::exec() is called,
it might not have to resize and redraw ? Just guessing here :)

I personally will not use this, but I know people who like it, and would like to
see it. Strange folk, users.

Cheers,
Rik

--