List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Animated menus / 2
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-04-23 0:58:50

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:

> WOW, I'm impressed, this is pretty smooth! I don't know how well it works
> with different X-Servers, but the one for my old cheapo S3 Trio64 card
> works quite cool, no flickering at all.

My MetroX gives good results also. (A llllittle flickering, but this
should have to do with the low frequency I have to use on this shitty
monitor).

> I personally don't use those gimmicks (the first thing I turned off on my
> sister's Win98 box), because I don't want to wait for a damn popup menu
> ;o) but I know others do. And I like having the option to enable it, too
> :o)

Well, I for one couldn't push more for encouraging Mario's work. I agree
that most of the effects (on win98) are simply lame. But a very fast
animation (like the fading thing) has a *very* important ergonomic value.
Things that appear and disappear suddenly on the screen are *very*
stressing on user's eye. Even a flickering sandglass cursor can be very
damaging (the eye tempts to automatically adapt to this kind of
rapidly/suddenly changing objects).

So, I strongly vote for including this kind of effects *on everything* for
KDE-2.0 . A general anim lib for KDE widget objects would be very nice.

Cristian