List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Interesting library
From:       Jo Dillon <emily () thelonious ! new ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1999-04-22 15:05:24

Roberto Alsina (ralsina@unl.edu.ar) spake thusly:

> > > [Cool features]
> > >
> > >   Wouldn't it make more sense to use Imlib? It offers much the same
> > > facilities and would enable us to share code with Gnome.
> >
> > I agree 100%.  It is a nice library, I have looked at it.
>
> Actually Imlib has one problem, in that it has a big functionality overlap
> with k/qimgio, isn't it? Imlib does two things: on one side it does color
> management and such, and on the other it does image loading.

  This is true. You can compile it not to have built-in support for various
image formats, in which case it uses helper applications to load them.
Hmm. I don't know if it can 'import' an X pixmap from elsewhere. Can
the other library? Also, I think anyone running Enlightenment (but not
Gnome; they use a different version of Imlib) will have Imlib already in
memory, so it wouldn't be hogging any extra.

--
	Jo