List:       kde-devel
Subject:    About boxes
From:       David Sweet <dsweet () chaos ! umd ! edu>
Date:       1999-04-22 13:22:00

Since "About boxes" have come up, here's my two cents.  I'd like to see About
boxes:
	1) tell what the application does.  This could be so helpful for new
users sitting down to a desktop with a bunch of applications.  Sometimes users
don't know enough about computing terms and history to know, for example, that
"kghostview" is used to view/preview files that were made to be sent to a
printer.
 	2) have an active mailto: link (KURLLabel?) to send mail to
maintainers.  Besides being convenient, it seems almost unnatural to me theses
days to be presented with an email address and not be able to click on it (or
even cut and paste it!)  An active link to the home page would be nice, too.

I'd really like to see these things standard in KDE.  I think the
Windows-style About box saying "Program version V.x by so-and-so" is useless.
It's not telling me _about_ the program.

And, I'd be glad to change KApplication's about box method to incorporate these
standards if people approve.

Dave