List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: A suggestion regarding your KDE Foundation Classes]
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-04-22 1:36:51

> Anyway, the suggestion I would like to offer is that you consider
> the ACE programming environment, produced by Dr. Doug Schmidt of
> Washington University (http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schimdt) as the
> basis for the non-gui portions of your kfc.  The advantage this
> gives you is that you are not reinventing the wheel, but building
> on an existing framework that has grown over about 6 years of
> development.  ACE works very well with linux, and comes with a
> rich set of network communication tools that have an abstraction
> layer that allows replacement of TCP based comm with FIFOs or
> other transport layers.
>
> The other strong feature of ace is that it provides the basis for
> an orb, TAO (The ACE ORB), which is one of the most efficient orbs
> on the market, free or otherwise.

FWIW, ACE and TAO are Seriously Cool(tm).  They are very very robust, full
featured, and powerful.  They have been used internally on many a
enterprise-scale telecom system with much success.  I know that my employer
uses ACE (and to some degree, TAO) for a lot of the ground work on the Iridium
space network.

All that said, they are pretty decent sized chunks o' code.  Their strengths
lie mostly in the threading and real time arenas..  Since we don't have much
to do with EITHER area, there wouldn't be a huge advantage for us to use
them.

> --
> Phil Mesnier
> Sr. Software Engineer,          http://www.ociweb.com
> Object Computing, Inc.          +01.314.579.0066

HEY!  That's the company that did the CORBA class I took.  It was with TAO.
Coincidence?  I think not.
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth