List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: user friendliness - suggesting improvements
From:       Matt Koss <koss () napri ! sk>
Date:       1999-04-18 9:24:16

On So, 17 apr 1999, Peter Becker wrote:

>There is a need for a "application is starting" information. The plain
>hourglass is not useful since it means "system is busy". Windows knows
>the cursor with pointer and hourglass to show that an application is
>starting but it doesnīt tell you which one.
>
>What about opening a little window telling the user that an apllication
>is starting and which. This would give a direct feedback to the user and
>shouldnīt be too complicated to implement -- no new widgets etc. I would
>like it very much.

I had the same idea. It doesn't even have to look like a window, it could look
like a another taskbar, or just a list with icons representing starting apps.
Of course that these icons could be "in motion" somehow, so that it looks like
something is happening.
Also I think that this widget should somehow check whether the app was
actually started. Without this, the app could e.g. segfault and widget would
still show that the app is starting. This could work for desktop icons, menu
entries and also Alt-F2 "execute command".

> BTW: another thing I dislike is the fact that the new
>program is placed on the desktop I am looking at when it opens. I would
>like it on the desktop where I started it. By now I wait on XEmacs on
>desktop one, then I wait for Netscape on desktop seven and after that I
>most probably work on one of the others. Why canīt I just start all
>programs I want and when I switch back to the desktops where I started
>them they are ready to go?

I just wanted to suggest it. Current behaviour is annoying. I guess that kwm
should be able to put the window on specific desktop.

   Regards

		Matt

--
Matej Koss	e-mail: koss@napri.sk