List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: user friendliness - suggesting improvements
From:       Matt Koss <koss () napri ! sk>
Date:       1999-04-17 11:10:17

>  1. in kdm, when you type your passwords, you get no feedback.
>     Stars should be displayed. The lack of feedback is very confusing
>     and annoying. It is a trivial thing, but can have a great negative
>     effect on the user.

This is definitely a must. I don't know why this wasn't implemented yet in kdm
as it is done already in e.g. kppp.

>  5. in kfm, there is no hourglass when you click on a directory or on a
>     file. Believe it or not, it can take seconds on my machine to display
>     the content of a directory. Again, very confusing. Even I get confused
>     sometimes. For example, I clicked on a tar.gz file. Nothing happened.
>     I waited, waited and than (about 1-2 min later) decided that something
>     bad happened and clicked again. And so on for a few times. Well, after
>     doing that I realized that I opened a _very_ large archive (10MB) and
>     I ended up with 5 karchive on my screen (and that kind of brought my
>     machine to its knees).

This will be solved when we add a status bar progress widget. It will show
progress for all time-consuming operations.

>  6. when you drag a file over the tree in kfm, there is no highlighting
>     of the target, there is no telling where the file is going to end up.
>     I do not like this uncertainty a bit.

IMO the tree still needs a lot of work to be user-friendly.
E.g. I miss tooltips for partially-visible items as it is in Windoze ( or
StarOffice ).

I don't think that hourglass will solve anything.
Imagine that you click on Emacs icon and hourglass will appear.
But if you then click on something else, what will then appear ? You still will
be able to do the same mistake with three Netscapes poping up.

Regards

		Matt

--
Matej Koss	e-mail: koss@napri.sk