List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Problem with kfm unifying dirs
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-04-16 16:56:14

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Sven Radej wrote:

> That's aknown bug report - It is late before 1.1.1 release so I am afraid to
> dig too deep. And simple solution isn't clear to me now.

A simple .kde.html file would be a solution simple enough for now.
Unfortunately, this is undocumented and I don't know how to write this
.kde.html file.

> This is for all kde-system files whichare duplicated in local/global manner.
> When I say items I mean icons/kdelnks or whatever. When I say "user's dir" I
> mean ~/.kde/share/applnk (or ~/.kde/.../icons). When I say "global dirs" I
> refer to $KDEDIR/share/applnk.
>
>  This is idea I had and still have in mind:
>
> User doesn't have to know that there are global items and local items. We the
> KDE, give some defaults int global dirs; root can administer them. If user
> wants to change something (icon, applnk, mimelnk...) this change goes into his
> local directory. This works now with mime/applnks in kfm: try Edit applnks and
> change any of them as user - the changed item is copied int your local dir
> (unless you're root)
>
> This is the way to go further (smallprint: IMHO);
>
> We should have kpanel start menu behaving like this: discard duplicates in
> global dirs, user's dirs have priority.
>
> However the present method for that is ugly hack. So I would like to make
> things more general:
>
> Allow users to use this feature as they wish:
> A directory "containing" files from different directories; such directory would
> have .directory with new entires, like this:

I don't like it very much if it is to be generally applicable (i.e. to all
possible directories). This somehow overrides the organizing purpose of a
file-system. However the idea is genial for those special directories of
ours.

> [Multiple View]
> preparse=<dir1>,<dir2>,<dir3>
> postparse=<dir4>,<dir5>
> ignoredups=true
>
> So, "preparse" is a list of dirs scanned (ant contents of which are
> shown)  before current directory is shown. "postparse" is for dirs which are to
> be scanned after that. ignoreDups is true or false depending should we show
> duplicate names or not (we could use syntax like kwm: "foo.bar", "foo.bar<2>")
>
> That is what I had in mind. User's dirs would all have
> "postparse=<global variant>". Globals would have "preparse=<user's variant>"
> and "ignoredups=true".

I'd call them "lowpriority=" "highpriority=" 'cause it's much clearer.

> Also - sooner or later some Admin will want to have settings for which he
> doesn't want to be changable by user. Such kdelnks would have
> "IgnoreOverride=true".
>
> Icons refer to original files - in ther true directories. The settings dialog
> is responsible for:
> - checking if setting is "IgnoreOverride=true" and disabling changing of that
>   item (unless you're root)
> - copying the setting to local variant and and making change there. Copying
>   creating thw whole dirtree is needed.
>
> Kfm when reading local settings should ignore them if there is a global variant
> with "ignoreOverride".
>
> So that is what I had in mind.

I'd add special icon overrides, to signal if
- file is local,
- file is local but overrides global,
- file is local and overrides but global is prevalent,
- file is global.

This would apply quite nicely to the ^K menu. No need for Personal submenu
then.

Also, konqueror should know how to signal (in a dialog) differences
between global and local, how to deal with local kdelnks (delete them when
they become identical to the overridden global a.s.o.) This idea came from
this list, sorry, I forgot who issued it first (Pietro?)

Cristian