List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Empath
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-04-14 17:42:47

Stefan Taferner wrote:

> What should I answer when questioned to drop kmail and kmail2 and
> help working on Empath?

I didn't ask you to do that.

> Saying that I am not interested in colaborating is only one part of the truth.

I also didn't say you weren't interested in collaborating, just that I
hadn't actually had a full conversation about collaborating yet, and was
therefore just having a go at an IDL myself until we'd decided what the
situation is.

> Rik, might I remember you that you are also not interested in colaborating but
> in aquiring workers for your project?  The only colaboration ,you've asked
> me for, is to call kmail officially dead and praise Empath as the new mail
> client. Yes, I did not like this offer.  Same as you did not like my offer to
> share code. Except if it is *your* code which is shared.

I didn't ask you to declare kmail dead.

Quoting myself:
> I'd be interested to know whether KMail2 development is likely to
> continue. I see no major updates have been committed since January.
> I hear you're very busy at the moment. If you can't continue with
> KMail2's development, I think it would be a good plan to (let others)
> bugfix KMail(2) for the remainder of the KDE 1 releases. Perhaps then
> either Magellan or Empath could take its place ?

I was suggesting only that if KMail2 development wasn't continuing, then
it may be a good idea to put something in its place. This is not what I
_want_ to do, only what seemed logical if there was going to be no
KMail2, which there obviously is going to be, so that answers that
question.

> Fine, go on, rap my code, reinvent the wheel, and call it the new mail
> client.

Please don't get angry. I have no intention of rapping your code, which
I admire greatly as it's a lot better done than anything I could do. I
don't claim to be a good programmer in any sense of the word. I've been
teaching myself from scratch and fully admit that Empath must have some
terrible mistakes in its code and design.

I didn't want to reinvent the wheel. As I said in my message to you, I
had to work alone as I didn't have (the money) to do CVS access and keep
up with developments. I was looking for a mailer that worked the way I
wanted, and was (am) trying to improve my C++ and KDE programming.

I also do NOT want to call Empath the new mail client. If you want, I'll
halt development right now, and you can take any code you like for
KMail2, which I'd be happy to collaborate on.

The only reasons I didn't stop Empath development as soon as I got net
access again:
I understand the code, because I designed and wrote it.
I want news integrated with mail.

> Unfortunately I don't have much time to work on kmail2 for the next months,
> which, faced with these options, will probably end up in me dropping Kde
> development due to annoyment.

Please don't drop development. I didn't mean to offend you.
It's only natural that if development of a key component of KDE slows to
a stall, other projects will look like viable options for replacing or
integrating, to get development going again, but like I say, I don't
want to step on your toes.

I'd rather we worked together, and if you think we should work together
on one app (KMail2), then so be it. I'm not proud.

I'm only interested in the future of KDE, not in some selfish desire to
shove my way in with a new mail client (which is far from even working
properly, never mind being stable). We need to provide canonical
mechanisms for mail access throughout KDE, and front ends for
interfacing to them.

Please don't take what I say the wrong way. We're all working in
geographically different locations, and having to communicate in
English. It was difficult for me to phrase my mail to you regarding
collaboration without offending you, and I obviously didn't manage it.

Cheers,
Rik

--
http://without.netpedia.net