List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Hard drive failure
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-04-12 19:53:46

Mario Weilguni wrote:

> In the last year I saw several harddisks got trashed by high load. Seems those
> cheap drives are not really ment to work in server environments with continous
> load. Some drives are very sensitive to heat, adding a cooling unit seems to
> help here.

Too right. Not meaning to advertise, but I find IBM's are very good.
They do require a large amount of cooling though. I have had a two
machines with overheating problems. One had two 4G IBMs in it and a
Cyrix chip, in a mini-tower case (not my idea !). Note that the
overheating was causing the chip to overheat - the drives seemed to
cope.

Cheers,
Rik

--
http://without.netpedia.net
'Every centimetre one moves from an erroneous first principle takes one