List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Magellan
From:       Andrew Richards <physajr () phys ! canterbury ! ac ! nz>
Date:       1999-04-06 5:35:49

[....]

> > A record like this:
> >
> > Subject
> > Sender
> > Date
> > Flags
> > ID
> >
> > Now, the mail client has the data from the 'index record'. It wants to
> > find the message. How would it do this ? What does it do to request that
> > message ?
> >

> Lets add a column named Msg...
>
> tbMailMessages
> --------
> pkID
> vcSubject
> vcSender
> dDateTime
> nFlags
> vcMsg

Can you add size to this list. I find knowing the size of a message extremely
useful for a number of things but especially for tidying up mail (deleting
binaries people have send you / you have sent).

> Simple SQL can be used. Lets assume that we are using the 'users' database already.
> The SQL may look something like this...
>
> SELECT vcSubject, vcMsg
> FROM tbMailMessages
> WHERE ID = 'some id'
>
> If you leave the WHERE off then you get all tbMailMessages.
>
> Assuming that we decide to have a file name stored in vcMsg we would then just load
> the file. NOTE: Any columns larger than 255 chars or binary (non-numeric, date or
> char) are not commonly supported on free, lite wieght SQL Servers and in
> particular... their ODBC drivers (on Linux)... so avoiding them by using files is a
> good way to go *for the time being*. This does not negate the usefullness of ODBC
> but it does limit it.... for the time being.
>
> Thats the SQL. ODBC has an API for submitting SQL statements and processing the
> results.
>
> Other mail clients can use the same tbMailMessages and related data such as
> tbAddresses, tbAppointments etc.... provides some interesting opportunities for work
> group solutions such as ;
>
> 1. allowing selected users to read or even write your schedule from another
> workstation (ie to resolve conflicts)
> 2. allow group oriented address information to be setup (similar to LDAP but in the
> corps fave database... perhaps along side their accounting data...)
>
> you get the idea....

One thing I would like to see in a mail client is some kind of journaling of
the messages eg,

new message ID<XXXX> to inbox
new message ID<XXXX> to kde/kde-devel
message gnome<XXXX> moved to humour
deleted message kde/kde-devel<XXXX>
sync with host butterfly

or such so that you can synchronise folders between two machines. I hate not
having my mail at home when I need it. (M$ Exchange has a feature like this)

One option is to use a text based client but you inevitably run into problems
and always feel like you have your hands tied behind your back.

BTW: I'm not asking anyone to implement it just keep it in mind.

Andrew
======