List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Magellan
From:       rupert thurner <rthurner () edu ! uni-klu ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-04-06 2:09:24

Tim Rohrer wrote:
> Am I wasting my time?  Should we instead focus our efforts on ODBC? Other
> thoughts?
no way, ldap is the standard for accessing directories,
independent of where they are stored, and is understood (resp.
used by) nearly every mail-client.

odbc is something for accessing (relational) databases in a
somewhat "standardized" way, and there is no binding to some kind
of data.

so, if you want, its twofold:
1. ldap is the client side access
2. odbc is some translation on the server side to integrate
different databases,
   and you could use it to "translate" the ldap-commands to
database commands.
   but you are doing an ldpa api for kab, am i right?

rupert.