List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE 1.1 HP-UX 10.20 binaries/ Q: replacing CDE login with kdm?
From:       Heiko Nardmann <h.nardmann () secunet ! de>
Date:       1999-03-31 9:59:07

Maybe someone else could download them and give them a try?
I just works nice for me aside from small keyboard typing problems:
I cannot access the AltGr keys ("~", "|", "@", ...) like it is
normally done on a PC keyboard (the machine has a normal PC keyboard
aside from the missing WIN keys ;-) ).
Is this a KDE configuration issue (I have not looked for it yet)
or an X Server issue?

If  you want to give it a try - down load the files from:
http://www.informatik.uni-siegen.de/~npheiko/KDE.HP-UX.10.20/

You probably need to download first:
js, KDE (kdeadmin, kdebase, kdegames (if you want it), kdegraphics,
kdelibs, kdemultimedia, kdesupport, kdetoys (if you want it),
kdeutils), libpng, libtiff, Qt, zlib

If you have problems feel free to contact me.

There are a few other archives I have created.
Maybe someone has need for them.

Now I have a question:

I would like to replace the CDE login with a start of KDM.
What do I have to change for this?
Is the following enough/ok resp. clean/best way:
1) changing /etc/rc.config.d/desktop:
< DESKTOP=CDE
---
> #DESKTOP=CDE
> DESKTOP=KDE

2) changing /sbin/init.d/dtlogin.rc:

- adding /opt/kde/bin to the PATH variable:

PATH=/opt/kde/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/dt/bin

- setting QTDIR:

QTDIR=/opt/development/qt

- setting KDEDIR (is this needed?):

KDEDIR=/opt/kde

- exporting them:

export PATH
export QTDIR
export KDEDIR

- adding if-command for 'KDE' in case:

case "$mode" in
'start')
	if [ -f /etc/rc.config ] ; then
		. /etc/rc.config
		else
		echo "ERROR: /etc/rc.config defaults file MISSING"
	fi

>	if [ "KDE" = "${DESKTOP:-}" ]
>	then
>		/opt/kde/bin/kdm &
>	fi

	if [ "CDE" != "${DESKTOP:-}" ]
	then
		exit 2
	fi

3) currently the shown time in the panel is not correct;
   I have added a TZ setting in startkde which fixes this:

if [ -f /etc/TIMEZONE ]; then
  . /etc/TIMEZONE
else
  TZ=MET-1METDST
  export TZ
fi

   TZ has to be set according to your location.

--
Ciao ... Heiko Nardmann (Dipl.-Ing.), Software Development
secunet (www.secunet.de), Security Networks GmbH - Sicherheit in