List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: cool idea
From:       Bo Thorsen <gobo () imada ! sdu ! dk>
Date:       1999-03-26 9:10:16

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Antal Novak wrote:

> I've been playing with GIMP and screenshots of KDE, and I've come up with
> a really cool idea that might be worth playing around with in kwm.  For
> people with fast machines and fast graphics (this is NOT gonna work on a
> 386 with an old VGA card!), have a "window fade" option, where not only is
> the window title bar inactive, but the entire window's opacity is
> decreased... so you can "see through" the window.  So when the mouse
> leaves a window, the contents fade down a bit (maybe to 50-60% opacity),
> and when the mouse returns, it gradually fades back in.
>
> Just an idea I've been toying around with.  If I had *ANY* free time
> lately, I'd love to send you all some code, but I'm really really busy
> with school; sorry.  Also, I never have time to check the mailing list,
> even though I'm still on it.  I'm interested in how this turns out though;
> so please Cc all responses directly related to this thread to
> afn@weevil.net!  Thanks...
>
> Antal Novak

For all of the replies to this one: The way E and aterm does transparency
is a hack, and it has been told to be slow even on very fast machines. The
proper way to do this is unfortunately a very hard one: Write a
X-extension. You would be doing the world an enormous favour by adding
this to Xfree, but you should be aware that you will not have a life while
you do it:)

I for one can not express how much I would love to have alpha channels in
my X server, but I think that until we have it, transparency is not
usable.

--

Bo Thorsen             gobo@imada.sdu.dk

Lahnsgade 31, st.      Unix systems administrator,
DK-5000 Odense C       Institute for Stat. and Dem.
Tlf: +45 66 11 83 85   University of Odense