List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Panel, docking, proposals
From:       Aaron Levinson <alevinsn () inetarena ! com>
Date:       1999-03-12 21:17:25

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Michael Reiher wrote:

> But that was back when there was really no obvious way to make it
> exit.(I thought the 1 and the 0 on the quit button is a key:) And if Iīm
> right it didnīt dock right after start up. So it was indeed confusing if
> it didnīt exit but sat down in the docking area. But as I said a Quit
> entry in the RMB popup should do it, that was one of the first places I
> looked at. But itīs not there till today. And maybe a more obvious icon
> on the quit button(an open door?) would also help much.
> And apps that donīt dock by default(like kscd back in those days) should
> have an explicit command to dock! So there really no need to use the X
> button for that.

You can't depend on the RMB popup, mainly because there will be people
that don't know about it, and there are people that run Window Managers
that don't agree with KPanel.  I know this from experience with dealing
with users.

I really don't understand why you want to defy standard GUI conventions
and make the X button dock.  X means "I want to get rid of this window and
I never want to see it again--and I don't want any docking crap left over
either."  Just think what the connotation of the letter "X" is.  Maybe it
doesn't mean this to you--but it means exactly this to the majority of
users.  Should we confuse the majority of users just to suit the needs of
the few?  I guess your answer to this question will depend on your answer
to the next question:  Who is KDE for?

Aaron Levinson