List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: localisation how to do??
From:       Aaron Levinson <alevinsn () inetarena ! com>
Date:       1999-03-12 19:20:31

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 uwe@uwix.alt.na wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>
> > Alexander Raimondi wrote:
> > >
> > > I want to translate my own app.. How to do...
> > >
> > > I read in a README-File:
> > > - i have to had i18n() to every text
> > > - i have to run xgettext -C -ktranslate <my_sources>, so i run it form
> > > my source dir repleacing <..> with *.cpp but no message.po was created..
> > >
> > > I couldn't find any other documentation about that
> > >
> > Well, which README file you read that in? It's -ki18n when you used
> > i18n.

Localization isn't just a process of getting translations.  You also have
to address issues such as text getting bigger, left-to-right or
right-to-left text, and much more.  There are ways to program with QT that
dynamically address these issues, such as using QLayout's.  An example of
this is the PlaylistEditor class, found in Kmp3 (www.kmp3.org), which was
recently internationalized.  From what I've been told, you are supposed to
do internationalization first (making sure windows, buttons, etc., resize)
before you deal with translations.  That way, you can drop in a new
translation, and the window will resize on its own, without you having to
do any extra programming.  If you design your windows to have extra space
to make room for long translations, you may not have to do any resizing.

Aaron Levinson