List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kiolib and little progress widget
From:       Matt Koss <koss () napri ! sk>
Date:       1999-03-12 9:50:05

Hello,

while working on kioslaves I came to this little idea :

So far user of kiolib has two ways of showing progress of some kio operation.

1.  There is a kio_progress_dialog which is started as default for kio
     operation. It is similar to the current kfm progress dialog.
     I have changed some code, and now it shows progress also in the title
     bar  ( useful when minimized in the taskbar ).

2.  The other way is to disable progress dialog with  enableGUI ( false ) and
    catch progress signal in the application.
    This way user has to implement progress indicator of his own.

My idea is to create a special progress widget for embedding in the statusbar.
It would be included in the kiolib, and user would create it with something
like :   QWidget *w = job->getStatusProgressWidget( type_of_widget );
          statusbar->insertWidget( w, size );

This progress widget could be useful for a all applications which allow to load
document from the URL.
Instead of popping up a progress dialog, they would show the progress in the
status bar, without having to catch progress signal and implement their own
widget.

Any suggestions how it should look ?
I was thinking about several ways which could all be implemened simultaneously.
User could then specify, which type of the widget he wants.
My ideas : a. netscape style,
                b. simply showing the percentage

Comments / questions /

		Matt