List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: seteuid() in kscreensaver
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-03-09 17:34:02

Christian Esken wrote:

> Martin Jones schrieb:
> >
> > Stephan Kulow wrote:

> > > As far as I know a replacement for seteuid exists, but I'm not sure.
> > > But using kcheckpass is definitly a good idea. I would even go so far
> > > to get rid of every password related code in klock and port kcheckpass
> > > alone.
> >
> > I would like to remove all password stuff from klock ASAP and rely
> > on kcheckpass only for KDE 1.1.1.  Is there is anyone who knows a
> > good reason not to?
>
> Portability?
>
> You cannot imagine the trouble to get kcheckpass ready for
> KDE1.1 - and KDE1.1 still suffered from not being able to
> support "Shadow+NIS".
> Currently I have included the patches from SuSE, and I have
> quite varying reports from testers: Some say: Jippie, it
> finally works, others say, now even Shadow support is broken. :-(

Well, shadow support is definitly not broken. But kcheckpass
shouldn't be installed SUID - this is only needed when using
shadow, not? And even there chgrp shadow is enough, so we
better leave it up to the user.

Greetings, Stephan

--
As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics,
Microsoft have nothing to worry about.