List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: screenshots page
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-03-08 17:08:57

On Mon, 08 Mar 1999, Yannai A. Gonczarowski wrote:
>Then maybe there could be a page of "KDE vs. Gnome apps" which will show the
>superiority, both graphically and technically, of KDE apps.

I don't think it's a good idea for a free software project to publish a direct
comparism with its competiors. This is up to the press and the users.
You can do it as fair as possible, it will always look like bashing since you
naturally put the strength on things that you consider important (and therefore
also implement, of course). In KDE's case this is design, functionality and
usability. Others, for example XFCE, put the strength of being lightweight
("Cholesterol Free"), others on themability. It all depends on what you really
want.

We didn't publish any comparism with CDE, XFCE, eXeed (wasn't that the name
of the Motif-based free environment?) or fvwm+tkdesk. We should keep this
tradition with KDE followers like UDE and GNOME as well.

They are all free software developers (with the exception of CDE). They all
develop because they like it and it's fun. Regardless of the actually result of
their work, it's a good thing. No-one deserves bad critics (may it be true or
wrong) for free code. The fact that others don't stick to this ethical rule
doesn't indicate we should do the same.

Matthias