List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Toolbars hanging off windows
From:       Lotzi Boloni <boloni () cs ! purdue ! edu>
Date:       1999-03-07 7:20:25

> Yes, I loved the MacOS-feature when I heard of it -- but I disabled it
> after having worked for 10 minutes. I hate to move up the whole screen
> for every app just to click on a menuitem ... this makes my
> mousespeedometer
> getting hi ... ;)

  Well, I think is a meter of the size of the screen. On my office
machine, on the 21' inch screen the menu is getting too far from the
application. For the 15' inch screen at home it saves valuable space.

> > Only real problem I can't figure out while I'm writing this sentence is how
> > to handle more than one toolbar.

  Actually I think it is simpler than it seems:

-let detached toolbars change their orientation (this is useful on it's
own and probably not very difficult).

-allow detached toolbars to "stick" to the side of the window. (i.e. a
user may decide to drag out a toolbar, and instead of letting it float,
attach it to a side, where it will be moved together with the rest). No
transparency involved, only move events should be sent to the attached
toolbar, too.

        Lotzi