List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kbash/kcsh
From:       Steffen Hansen <stefh () mip ! sdu ! dk>
Date:       1999-03-07 0:09:09

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Martin Konold wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, David Sweet wrote:
> > 	4) Could send status info. to konsole (ex: to display the cwd in a
> > konsole status bar or in caption)
>
> Again I fail to see the actual benefits. I think it's just a feature you
> won't actually gain anything from.

This has been possible for ages. For example do

alias title 'echo -n "\033]2;`uname -n`  `uname -sr` -- `date +%R`
$$\007";echo -n "\033]1;${HOST}\007"'

in a tcsh and get a nice command to put useful stuff in the titlebar. This
will work with konsole, kvt, rxvt, xterm and whatever. If you want the
title to follow you changing directories, alias something similar to the
special name "cwdcmd". All this is for tcsh, and i'm sure bash does
something similar.

> > 	5) Update open KFM windows when files are created, deleted, etc.
> > (although the added information gained from a shell would certainly not be
> > complete)
>
> This I would like very much, but you do not need to write a new shell, you
> could do it with a timer and a repeating check. I for one would not mind
> this, as long as the timer is stopped, if there is no open windows. (Don't
> know about the root icons here though.) There really should be a
> notification mechanism in e2fs. (So, go patch that one instead :).

Polling with a timer seem the only way to do this. We _really_ dont want
to make special versions of tcsh and bash. IRIX has a nice API for
monitoring inodes for changes without polling, but i haven't seen
something like that on other unices. Besides that, polling for changes on
one inode per kfm-window uses almost no cpu-time.

greetings,