List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New draft of press release
From:       Lotzi Boloni <boloni () cs ! purdue ! edu>
Date:       1999-03-06 15:38:46

> > Hi, I've taken everyone's suggestions and have made a new draft of my
> > press release. I have attached both plaintext and html versions.
>
> I'm concerned about the negativity that's found in the first 10 paragraphs
> or so.  Sticking up and not letting KDE get bashed is one thing, but in
> doing so you don't have to bash the other side. It just brings you down to
> their level.  I like the idea, the heart's in the right place, but maybe
> something more descriptive and less "we're better than <insert unknown
> monster>".

  I agree, the press release should not contain shots to Gnome and RedHat
(and or Motif). And there is no need of too many tech savy talk. The
enumeration of features and applications (in a technically competent way
but without plus hype) should be sufficient. And it will be impressively
long too. Let's not forget that programs like WinZip are selling for about
30$-s.

  For instance:

Kfm: file manager and lightweight web browser. Allows managing remote
filesystems via ftp virtual filesystem. <MAYBE> Allows you to drag a
remote file directly to your application </MAYBE>

> You also run into the problem of the media person who has never heard of
> GNOME and KDE.  What will they think?

  I am almost sure that all media persons heard about Gnome (and probably
about KDE too). It was on CNN and CNBC bussiness television.

                         Lotzi