List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Mindshare (or the lack thereof)
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-03-06 0:02:42

uwe@uwix.alt.na wrote:
> It has been a shame that we couldn't manage to get out the
> press-release about KDE 1.1! That must never happen again.
> For the next release we must fix that in advance.

Agreed.  We should treat 1.1.1 in the way that we *should* have treated
1.1.  Press releases, posts, the works.

I wonder what would happen if we approached www.download.com to have
KDE... they seemed thrilled that 400,000 people dl'ed WordPerfect.

> Again, this is very America-centric. There's quite some PR going on
> in Europe. But there is very little in the States. That's right. Maybe
> Robert (see above) started something that gets us more coverage. Still,
> we need more. Problem is, there aren't so many people in America
> devoted to KDE and willing to put up the work of massaging journalists.
> Kurt, you should think about it. Perhaps _you_ are one!

I am indeed going to be more involved in promoting KDE.  My Mindshare
essay was just a jumping off point.

> Instead I would suggest to make our list of representatives who are
> willing to give interviews, talks,... more prominent on our web pages.
> A somewhat bigger link on our front page ('Need an interview?') to the
> page with the representatives would be better. And, of course, we need
> more people doing things like that in the States.

Good idea!
--
Kurt Granroth
granroth@kde.org