List:       kde-devel
Subject:    release policy (was KDE Mindshare)
From:       rupert THURNER <rthurner () edu ! uni-klu ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-03-05 18:15:21

i think the style of packaging is one of the main challenges of kde. it
would be better to have a kde-base (with releases as they are done now),
which contains only the absolutely necessary base, and separate packages
at application level. there is no necessity that a normal user will use
two terminal applications, two editors, two mail clients or whatever.

these applications could be released separately, could have separate
versioning and demanding a certain version of kde. there is absolutely
NO reason to couple release dates more than necessary. and i think there
are much more applications based on kde than there are in the current
cvs-tree. this policy would allow to integrate them more in the current
movement (you can have them in the cvs or not, but they still belong to
kde, and packagers can easier choose what they include in their
end-user-packages).

rupert.