List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kmp3, kscd, kmid suggestion
From:       Aaron Levinson <alevinsn () inetarena ! com>
Date:       1999-03-04 22:31:54

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, aleXXX wrote:

> How about joining a mp3-player, a cd-player, a midi player (kmp3, kscd,
> kmid) and maybe a mod-player and a radio-card-"player" into one
> application ?
> All three have already the same frontend, only some radiobutton for
> source-selection would have to be added in the GUI.
> It would be much nicer this way. :-)

The latest version of Kmp3 uses a generic plugin architecture to load
plugins for a variety of audio formats.  Currently, there is only one
plugin, a mpeg audio plugin, but we plan to add additional plugins in the
future.  When the user adds a plugin that supports an additional audio
format, the playlist editor file type combo-box gets an additional entry,
corresponding to the new file type.  There are other ways to do this too.
We have to do a bit more work to support this, but the architecture is
pretty much all there now.  So, in the future, Kmp3 could support all the
different formats you mention above with an easy-to-use interface.  I
don't see how you could add a radio-card interface to Kmp3 (or Kmidi, or
Kscd), since the radio is dynamic in nature, while in all the other cases,
the user generally has a set of songs that he/she wants to hear.  You need
a different user interface to listen to radio stations, imho.

Kmp3 also currently has provisions that allow the user to change the look
of the interface, and it will be supporting winamp/x11amp skins in the
next release (winamp/x11amp skin preview is already available).

You can check it out at http://www.kmp3.org/.  The latest version is
0.7-pre--we should be releasing an official 0.7 version in two weeks or
so.

Aaron Levinson
Kmp3 Development Team