List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Dummy question concerning libraries - repeation
From:       Hans Meine <hansmeine () dial-net ! de>
Date:       1999-02-25 22:06:50

Hi!

Since noone answered until now, I want to repeat my question:

I would like to know how libraries are given version numbers and how one links
against a special version of a lib.
I mean, how does a prog know it needs "xx.so.2" and not "xx.so.3" and how do I
compile libraries to give "xx.so.3" instead of "xx.so.2"? If someone would
point this out or give me a hint where to look at, that would be nice!
(I hate this lowlevel-programming-stuff, but I guess I just _have_ to know it.
;-) )

  --

Ciao,
   /  /

Hans Meine                                mail me: hans_meine@gmx.net
Harkortstr. 138                       http://www.dialnet.de/hansmeine
D-22765 Hamburg                              ICQ: RastaJoe <28674493>
[Germany]                                     Phone: ++49-40-38612523