List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: confusing taskbar change
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-02-28 8:47:58

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, you wrote:
>Kdevelopers -
>
>You guys have done incredible work.
>
>Revision 1.79 of kpanel.C introduced (under the notation "bugfix") a distinct
>and odd user-visible change in the handling of left-button clicks on taskbar
>buttons.  I haven't found any discussion of the change in the mailing list
>archives.
>
>Anyway, after the change, if I begin with a single open activated window, on
>the current desktop, and left-click on the taskbar button/icon, the window
>will iconify.  If I left-click the taskbar button again, the window will be
>restored to the desktop.  A sort of toggle.  If the window is active, it
>will once again be restored the next time the button is clicked.  However,
>if non-iconfified and non-active, it will be raised, but not activated.
>When there is only one window on the desktop, raising is irrelevant, so
>it looks like nothing happens.  If there are a number of windows open, and
>you click on a taskbar button, the window will be restored and raised if
>it is an icon or an inactive window, and iconified iff it is the active
>window.
>
>Confused?  I was.  This behavior is inelegant.  If it is intentional, then
>there should be an option to suppress it.  Left-clicking on the taskbar
>button should invoke a simple rule, be it "always raise", "always activate",
>or "always raise and activate".
>
>I guess there is interaction with the window manager concerning whether
>the window is always activated, but this shouldn't keep the left-click
>from following a simple principle.

It does (actually Win98 now follows KDE and does the same ;-). May it be that
you are using one of the weird classic focus follows mouse policy? These
are in KDE for people who don't use taskbars. Please try again with click to
focus or KDE focus follows mouse:

Inactive or iconified window => raise and activate
active window => iconify

Matthias