List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Some memory statistics (fwd)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-02-26 14:38:46

Jo Dillon wrote:

> Mario Weilguni (mweilguni@sime.com) spake thusly:
>
> > * each dialog is constructed from code. Not too much for individual
> > applications, but a lot for all applications.
>
>   This problem in particular is one I think should be fixed; we should
> be doing what both MacOS and Windows do and storing dialogue information
> separately. Not only does this reduce memory usage but it allows users
> to customise the layout of their applications, which seems a big win
> to me ;) The difficult question, of course, is how we deal with
> custom (non-Qt or kde standard library) widgets in such a scheme,
> and how we deal with setting the parameters of such widgets (e.g.
> if someone's created a custom layout manager, how do we say in the file
> 'add this widget here' and get the custom manager to understand it).
> What would be nice - and would help here - is putting all widgets in
> small shared libraries which export not only the widget but a factory
> function and ways of setting and getting properties - effectively
> 'KDE beans'. That would make for some extremely powerful GUI builders
> as well.

You might want to have a look at Borland's TurboPascal for this. Long
ago
when I was hacking around in DOS, I used TP6.0 (7.0?) with TurboVision
based
on OOP (Object Oriented Pascal). Each widget (they called them
differently)
had a "save" method and a "load" constructor. The save method stored all
information of the widget in a stream and called recursively all
child-widgets
. The "load" constructor reconstructed everything again from this
stream.
One tricky thing about this was that you had to store a unique-ID in the
stream to identify what kind of object you wanted to restore. In general
a program started with registering the IDs of all objects which could
be saved and retrieved using this mechanism.

I think this was designed very well and it would be very powerfull if we
could use such a scheme for KDE as well. (I am not sure if they invented
it themselves or if MacOS already used a similair scheme)

Cheers,
Waldo